This Page

has been moved to new address

WTF? Get Your Mind out of the Gutter and into the GUT!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Robinsbite: WTF? Get Your Mind out of the Gutter and into the GUT!

Monday, April 12, 2010

WTF? Get Your Mind out of the Gutter and into the GUT!



WTF. It's often seen as an acronym for a less than tasteful phrase. In my world, WTF could not be a more important question since it stands for "Where's the Fiber?". Oh, how I wish I could claim that I came up with this, but I have to give credit where credit is due and that goes to Dave Grotto, RD. I "borrowed" it from him because I saw it on his Facebook page. I admit it.

Anyway, fiber is such a good thing. Many of you may now recognize my love of fiber. I love it. I talk about it, I educate people about it, I read about it and I eat it-all day long. And as I do this, I am lowering my risk for colon cancer, decreasing my blood cholesterol, maintaining a regular blood sugar and keeping everything moving through the system. Like a broom sweeping everything through your gut. Keeping the pipes clean. I think you get the drift.

Soluble, Insoluble-it's all good. Finding it is easy--fruits & veggies (especially with the peels), 100% whole grains, wheat bran, oats, oat bran, beans, nuts, seeds, legumes, even pills and powders. Of course, my preference is to get the daily recommendation for adults of 25-35 grams from food. My #1 fiber source is All Bran, with raspberries coming in a close second with 8 grams in 1 cup.

That's right-I love those little twigs. No, they don't taste like twigs or sticks as some like to say even before they taste them. They are truly delicious. As many of you know, I'm a purist. So I am good with the Original All Bran. No flakes, buds or medleys for me. Just my twigs, low fat soy milk and 1/2 of a banana and I'm good to go. And when I say good to go, I mean good to GO.

Why? 1/2 cup of these babies contain:
80 calories
1 gram of fat
10 grams of fiber. (That's right, I said 10 grams!)


You may have heard it referred to as Colon Blow. And I'd have to say that is pretty accurate. If you are squeamish about the colon and other bodily functions, it may be best for you to keep clicking. However, if you are like me, or any of my colleagues, this is a regular discussion. Staying regular is critical for everyone of all ages, particularly young kiddos and the elderly population. If you are interested in incorporating All Bran or upping your fiber content in general, here are my suggestions:

1. Do it s-l-o-w-l-y.
2. Drink lots of water to help the fiber move through your system.
3. If you start increasing your fiber intake by eating All-Bran, start by sprinkling a handful in your other cereal or in your yogurt, in a trail mix or just a small handful. Again, add it s-l-o-w-l-y.
4. In the first few days of increasing your fiber, you may want to be near a bathroom. I'm not kidding.

You are jump starting your intestines and they will revolt a bit-just until you get used to it. I promise.


Disclaimer: I do not represent All Bran or Kellogg's ...I just am a true fan of the cereal. For more info, go here. I also like the National Fiber Council website. I'd love to hear about your fiber stories--where do you get your fiber and do you have any fiber websites you like? Please let me know.

Yours in fiber,
Robin

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home